A child will more likely to give you a full lesson of how your gadgets work, they know what are the latest features of your applications and devices or even put your smartphone in a setting you did not know exists. At a very young age children are handed with technology for entertainment; they grew up to be able to access a whole device on their own. Kids use that system for access to their education, hobbies, communication, decisions of career path and along their journey of being an adult this innovation will be a part of probably their lifetime
However, with all of this continual exposure to technology, there are some legitimate worries regarding how it affects children’s development. We are venturing into unfamiliar ground, as previous generations have never experienced such continual electronic absorption.
CHILDREN’S BENEFITS & STUMBLING BLOCKS in TECH
Children have unlimited access if their parents allowed them to and reach websites that are satisfying to their entertainment. They can provide information and post their lifestyle as they please, with minimum restrictions all are accessible. We are aware of the positive factors that are being provided with the use of technology but drawbacks are always vulnerable.
While many individuals recognize the disadvantages of such technological use, there are also advantages. The fundamental question is what parents and teachers can do to help children utilize technology in beneficial ways while avoiding making them slaves to it and the bad consequences that this can have on their life
Here are some factors that can affect children and teenagers from the use of technology:
- LOW ATTENTION SPAN: Children find waiting more difficult due to the immediacy of technology interactions. They don’t have to wait any longer thanks to technological advancements. They can watch their favorite show right away, and they never get bored since there is always something to keep them entertained. Young children and teens’ attention spans are being impacted by technology’s rapid pace, immediate reactions, and instant reward.
- RISK OF DEPRESSION: A major problem that is linked to media use is Depression As a result, suicide rates have risen, and more young people are requiring mental health interventions such as medication and therapy. Time spent on social media or utilizing technology, according to experts, is directly linked to greater sadness.
- SOCIAL INTERACTION ISSUES: Younger children are experiencing difficulties with physical social connections as they spend more time on electronics. Many people appear to prefer texting or chatting on social media than conversing in person. They may no longer develop their interpersonal skills as well as build experiences in the reality.
- · ACCESS TO EDUCATION: There are numerous things that children may be exposed to that can assist grow their minds and teach them new things, from TV programs to applications on a smartphone or tablet. Access to education is the most reliable effect of technology to children they can learn to acquire knowledge on their own and help them recognize their cognitive development at their own pace.
- IMPROVES MULTI-TASKING SKILLS: Technology has been shown to assist young children learn how to multitask more successfully, according to studies. While multitasking never enables you to fully focus on one work, kids may learn how to listen and type to take notes, as well as other multitasking tasks that can aid them in their future success.
- PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION MAKING SKILLS: Technology often provides problems that can assist them using their critical thinking skills and cognitive development. Different genres of application that involves gaming and education can help them gain experiences answering or guessing for solution, learning that they will have a mistake and learn from their decisions.
HOW CAN WE LOOOK OUT FOR THEM
Parents and adults may assist youngsters in reaping the benefits of technology while minimizing its drawbacks. Parents may begin by ensuring that children under the age of two are not exposed to screens. We should also attempt to establish appropriate boundaries, such as time limitations, and set a positive example for their children when it comes to smartphone use. Cybersecurity software and systems can assist in keeping children secure as they use technology.
Adults may assist in ensuring that children learn about computer science and IT as part of their technology education, providing them with chances for a great career in technology.
This blog is very relevant especially nowadays, children are exposed to gadgets in an early age.
A very relevant topic nowadays knowing that this generation often relies to technology. There are pros and cons for kids when using gadgets therefore, we should be aware that everything should have limitations.
We must also remember that too much exposure to gadgets is not healthy for kids. Yes, it has advantages but it is also alarming how these kids are getting controlled by technology when it should be us, humans who should take control of technology., I’m talking about time, most kids spend their time with gadgets and will choose to play games instead of eating meals. This article has great points in discussing the effects of technology to children especially when they are not guided by parents/guardians. It’s quite disappointing that some parents tolerate this kind of behavior. I hope children could learn from this.
parents should always be aware of situations that can harm their children this should be seen
children nowadays should be taught how to play outside