Games: Edtech Industry Progressing In The Path Of The Game-Based Learning — Present And Future
Game-based learning has both advantages and disadvantages. Digital literacy, access to digital devices, and connectivity can all be impediments to learning through games, especially in some parts of Asia. In discussions about modernizing education, measures for keeping students interested and ensuring that they are practicing strategic thinking, confidence, and creativity skills that they will need in the future workplace—should be discussed.
While there are various ways to get around this problem, game-based learning has emerged as one of the most engaging ways to propel the ed-tech industry forward. This kind of instruction is especially well adapted to leveraging the benefits of digital information in higher education. Now that Asia, specifically the country Philippines which is still going through the effect of COVID-19 still struggling to have a limited face-to-face and students are depending on the given module and parents are the one teaching them.
Introducing “Game-based Learning” to the students and especially the parent will question “How can games be educational?” and “What does game-based learning mean?” On this blog, it will be discussed how edtech can be a way for games to be educational.
HOW CAN GAMES BE EDUCATIONAL? or WHAT IS GAME-BASED LEARNING?
There is the societal stigma of learning being serious business for parents and learners unfamiliar with the benefits of gamification in education. Parents may think playing games and having fun, that’s not learning, some will say learning should be focused and hard — well it should not be. The cognitive field of the product, its presentation, and its visual attractiveness are all factors in game-based learning. Gamification makes use of a variety of incentive elements, such as scorecards, to encourage users to compete.
BENEFITS OF GAME-BASED LEARNING OR SIMULATIONS IN STUDENT:
Nowadays, the generation is now being called as early-digital or predigital. The blog has enumerated the benefits of game-based learning and simulations.
- It boosts self-esteem — students will increase their self confidence through the game-based learning, simulation and engagement. They get a sense of success as they progress through the levels. Cooperative and pro-social conduct are encouraged through game-based learning. It’s not just a matter of being competitive. It is students who assist one another in learning, supporting one another, and cooperating to get the finest results.
- A greater comprehension of concepts. Student’s conceptual knowledge and skills develop as a result of Game-Based Learning. This is due to the fact that immersive gaming and properly curated digital learning resources assist children in better understanding subjects. This has the impact of enhancing student’s dedication to learning and promoting high-quality learning.
- It improves memory. It has been proven that game-based learning improves children’s memory. Visual learning promotes retention and sharpens student’s minds. Visual learning shortens learning time and boosts memory processing, allowing students to absorb concepts faster.
- There will be an enhancement of motor abilities. When students use the computer keyboard for gamification, they will be able to fully participate in manipulating the controls. When utilizing the functions, keeping their eyes on the screen can aid with spatial navigation. These abilities are useful outside of the classroom as well.
- Improvement in analytical skills: Game-based learning is more likely to increase working and analytical abilities because it involves playing games that foster logical reasoning and analytical thinking. Simplifying the user interface is a difficult undertaking, but repeated exposure to such technologies aids in the refinement of an individual’s impairments and talents.
Future of Game-based Learning in the Edtech Industry.
The number of people switching from traditional to online education has increased dramatically especially when the pandemic outbreak has begun which drastically affects the different countries in Asia. Learning was abruptly transferred to video conferencing systems such as Zoom, Google Meet, and Microsoft Teams during the COVID-19 lockdowns around the world.
Learning may be both informative and enjoyable when using interactive and innovative methods. As a result, each year, edtech brings a revolution by bringing new games with fresh themes. Ed-tech learning has proven to be an effective and individualized approach of instruction. Teachers are looking forward to game-based learning more than ever before, thanks to the advent of online education.
As of now, game-based learning and stimulation is gaining more popularity and been used as a way to advance the learnings and knowledge of students, so it will be a great advise for parents, community or schools to implement this kind of learning system with the help of different sectors in government and private organizations.
Image Credit: LEARNTech Asia
Image Credit: ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute
Dutt, P. (2021, September 21). The Present and the Future of Game-Based Learning in the Ed Tech Industry? Retrieved from: https://www.magicedtech.com/blogs/the-present-and-the-future-of-game-based-learning-in-the-ed-tech-industry/
LEARNTech Asia. (2020, August 30). Game-based learning: Tips, resources on gamification in education. LEARNTech Asia. Retrieved from: https://learntechasia.com/game-based-learning-tips-resources-gamification-education/
Modern teaching aids are important and most preferred in the technological age and Game-based learning allows learners to discover new methods of working towards achieving goals and objectives in an interactive manner. Thanks this blog is very timely.
Very informative! Thanks
With the combination of technology and games it would really get the interest of children a great way of learning! Great content!
Game-based learning is indeed a new trend in Edtech. Since many people nowadays knows how to use technology, game-based learning will be a boom since many people are using tech, especially those who are students. They’ll enjoy it more because of the graphics.
Interesting, i hope it will be implemented also here in our place to help my niece and nephews who are starting to learn.
Games and technology seems like a good combination and for children who are starting to learn this will be a great help for their parents also.
Very relevant & informative! Great article! 👍🏻
I really love this, a great content.
This is quite interesting and this would be of great benefit for the youth.
Timely content now that students still have a limited face-to-face class.
Good article. Interesting to try , this doesnt apply now for us
I hope parents would be interested is and let their child use this kind of edtech
Thanks for sharing this amazing content.
Yeah, learning should be informative and enjoyable. This will be a great help for students.
It was well done for a blog 👏 comprehensive discussion and interesting
Love how this is timely and a really good advancement towards education for students especially the young ones who are starting to learn.
So interesting, and great for kids and students to be involved with this type of education.
Game-based learning is a great concept to be discussed, new and innovative ideas for students. good job!
edtech been greatly progressing nowadays which is a really good thing for everyone.
Imagine how fun would the kids experience with this edtech progress and how capable they are when it comes to their education
really like how this blog was written, comprehensive and it highlights what are the benefits will get once we dived into the edtech for new generation.
Wow! a timely and relevant topic, especially in the context of the present predicament!